Thought of the road trip reminds about the endless roads to explore, beautiful scenic beauty to enjoy, the road side tasty food stalls (only if you are lucky enough to get a good one). Road route have always remain the best place to explore and I am sure alike all the travel hunters it is going to fill you with the ocean of excitement. If you have planned to drive off during sunset don’t go without any prior planning. After following all this rules I along with my friend decided to go for a road trip to trans-Canada highway.
The story begins when I got my CANADIAN VISA and after that I already made a list of the tourist places to visit but this trip was planned by my friends and was surprise for me.
The reason of choosing Trans Canada Highway was that it travels through all ten provinces of Canada between its Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean coasts to the west and east respectively, so we had a chance to explore all the flavors of Canadian culture.
The first thing that we did was to understand the route to this place. This was a straight route to follow. But going with a straight route was like ignoring the populated areas, so we decided to follow the busy routes. We started from Edmonton in a Minivan.
Minivan are one of the best option for traveling on a long drive as you can carry lots of important stuff in it like backpacks, sealed food, tent house stuff and lot more along with number of friends.
The best route that falls in mid was the Halifax in Nova Scotia and the journey till Cabot Trail which was in Cape Breton was also a good experience. The scenic beauty that had occupied the most important part in my heart was Icefields that lied in between Jasper and Banff.
When we reached Quebec, we left the wide highway that was falling in between Rivere du loup and Quebec City. The fresh smell of Ambi pur in our Minivan and perfect collection of music has added more fun and had reduced the stress of long journey too. Highway 132 was taken by us rather than the traditional south shore of the famous St. Lawrence River.
Third day was the weird one as we took a long route and unnecessarily had to take the longest turn and were unable to take proper rest. But commuting in wrong route always give a good and bad experience to travelers and same happen to me also.
How long I was driving?
Though the description above completed in few lines but it had captured long time as it was followed by breakfast and meal breakups and lots of fun. A stretch of two weeks was taken that too when we were covering 300-400km in 24 hours. We stopped everyday at 6 p.m as it was a bit risky to drive late than that.
We did not booked any motels or lodges for our stay in between, as we wanted to stay in our Tent house for adventure and fun and they were the perfect place for us to stay during night though some risk was always there.
The best part which happen to me on a wrong route is that, I came across lot of people while asking the correct path though GPS was there but some times GPS can also land you to unknown places 🙂
In this way I got chance to see many places full of natural beauty with great local food and music. Canada has many places to explore.
Due to this wrong route my dodge caravan as well as me, we both were equally tired and at one point thought that they are lost.
Points to Remember on Road Trip
The pre hand things that I did before starting the trip in order to make my trip a perfect one was as follows:
1) I did all kind of servicing of my Dodge caravan so that I had to face no issue while driving or can ignore all possible stress in the route. The tire pressure of my caravan was checked and re-checked by me. Vehicle oil was the second factor that I focused too.
I never wanted a single hitch in my journey but still had to face a puncture problem on sixth day but it was fun when you change a tire among seven known fools- yes I am talking about my friends, we took 90 long minutes to change a tire as everyone wanted to follow their style but finally we stick to one and it was changed.
2) I informed my bank about my trip so that I have to face no issue from that part too.
3) I took the paper map with me as it is true that world is moving towards extreme of technology and smartphones has answer for all the kind of routes but the travel tech may dump you at any turn and in such a moment these old fashioned pages had help me. Once my trip was over I added it in my scrap book and preserved it as a memory.
4) I checked my license and our passports as they were needed in between. Plastic money was another important thing to carry.
5) Stashcord universal car inverter holds up the battery of your laptops, notebook or DVD player from that regular 3 top 4 hour duration till the time you want. I ensure that nothing such essential commodity is lacking.
6) Before going for a road trip there are certain apps that I have upgraded including iExit that depicts the available gas stations or grocery stores or restaurants at the nearest exit. SitOrSquat app is a free app that even look a wash room in the mid of a journey. Though at many places there were no such places and nature was the only shelter for our nature calls.
7) Food was the next necessity that occupied space in my car. Fast food as well as easy to cook food was all there. I chose Oatmeal or cereal bars are good, healthier and economic selection rather than sticking to some expensive fast food. How can I forget the mention of Marco Polo restaurant that had actually satisfied my hunger in this longest trip? We were served best Italian and continental food here.
Note: You must be thinking where are the pictures of this trip. This was an old trip and memorable pictures of this trip gone with my laptop, whose hard disk crashed.
Though it was expensive but the satisfaction that we get after eating the lasagna and chicken parmigiana that they served here was simply marvelous and at that part of time I was ready to pay any price.
I tried to add all best possible things to make it memorable without any regrets. It is very simple, just prepare before hand, rendezvous with the requirement beforehand can actually turned my trip into the ideal one but still surprises are always entertained in such trips.